Wednesday, November 9, 2011

6 Hour Imaging Marathon: November 9, 2011



sunset closeup
I started the 6 hr Marathon with the Sun. Any solar nut will be so eager to image this week's solar activity. AR11339 is still the rockstar of the Suns face. It has stretched to its maximum length, I am excited to see James Kevin Ty's images for today (he's a self proclaimed solar nut!)

I was imaging both directions to the east and to the west to capture two simultaneous celestial events happening today. The sunset image is taken while I was waiting for the sun to come down and dim the sky.
sun.set
The camera can only capture a glimpse and does not give justice to the beauty of this two events.
Jupiter & Moon Conjunction

Antares, Mercury & Venus


After the conjunction imaging, I saw a bright object passing by real fast. I knew right away that it was a satellite. I setup the camera for widefield and adjusted aperture to be able to capture and set to bulb mode so I can hold the shutter for as long as I can.You can see from the faint line made by its movement across the sky through long exposure. I got it while it was passing by Lyra field. After imaging, I run for Stellarium to simulate the event and found out by timing that it was the COSMOS 1536 satellite.





Jupiter and Moon:

I allowed the scope to cool down to ambient so I can get better images. My first target was Jupiter shining high early in the evening. Io is visible here about to transit. After about one hour, I checked my Ipod Jupiter app and I saw that Io will transit in front of Jupiter's face and its shadow will be visible. Amazing sight! Jupiter always has something to offer each night of good seeing!

Jupiter and Io


Io transit

This is my first attempt to image hi-res moon via video. Same technique I use for my Jupiter images. I must say, this is one of the best and sharpest. Better weather contributed largely to the quality of this Lunar image. This is a mosaic of 4 frames.



No comments:

Post a Comment