Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jupiter at Opposition 2011:

 Oct 26, 2011

Oct 27, 2011
Oct 28, 2011

Oct 29, 2011

Oct 30, 2011



It is New Moon. I can focus on Jupiter for the next 3 days till opposition. I am glad to have imaged it this time of the year. It has the apparent size of about 50". This will be the same size as when it is at opposition on OCT 29th 2:00 UTC. The next time Jupiter will be this close to us is at year 2022. So this one is special!

You can see Io faintly in both frames and this is the first time I have ever imaged the Great Red Spot with better detail.

Although the images are not professional, I am quite proud of it! 

(Oct 31 update) 

Just came back from vacation, I am blessed to have been able to test my scope in darker skies by the beach. I had only two targets from Oct 29 & Oct 30, Jupiter and Moon. 

The first evening, I was able to take images of the Moon in its Crescent Phase and took some seascape tripod shots. Later in the evening, seeing was good but transparency was bad. But I was still able to take Jupiter when the GRS was about to transit. I could've waited for it to be in the center meridian but I was too tired from swimming at the beach all day. As you can see in the Oct 29 frame, quality of image isn't that good.

The next evening, seeing and transparency was better. I was able to take images of both the Moon and Jupiter. Jupiter was high enough for me to shoot without much turbulence. I was also able to cool down the scope for a longer time. You can see that the Oct 30 frame was better. Goes to show that there's so many factors to consider to get a good image no matter how expensive your equipment is. You need to be able to balance them all. I only did a short imaging session because I was too tired from swimming and boating. Morong, Bataan Beaches are amazing!

(last frame) Tonight's Jupiter is just amazing. So even if I am tired from the trip, I still had to setup to image It. You can see Io on top and Callisto in the Bottom and the Great Red Spot almost in the center meridian. What a sight to see.


Great Red Spot, Io & Callisto Oct 31, 2011

reprocessed frame Oct 31, 2011



God has always something in store for us!

(Oct 31, 2011 23:50)
Tonight, I pray for the speedy recovery of my friends. Frances & Henry Cheock. The last image which is the best image I ever took of Jupiter so far is for them. Greater things are yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment