Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lunar and Jovian Imaging Session:

Waning Gibbous Moon Oct 15, 2011
Waning Gibbous Moon Oct 14, 2011




After a series of storms, from PEDRING, QUIEL to RAMON. The skies cleared up and I was able to image. I had two targets that evening, Moon and Jupiter.

Frame 1 & 2: For the Full shot of the Moon, I used afocal method via 25mm eyepiece, took four RAW frames and stitched them together. I do this because the afocal method does not permit me to shoot a full moon shot, it does not fit my screen. 

For the close up moon shot of the craters I used the 2x barlow and webcam.

Frame 3: Is taken from the North East Limb of the Moon. This section has Craters Endymion (125Km) Hercules (69Km) and Atlas (87Km) and many more.

Frame 4: Is a panorama of Half Mare Crisium. Craters Geminus (86Km) Burckhardt (57Km) Cleomedes (126Km) are all visible in this phase.

Jupiter and Europa's Shadow
Frame 5: Is Jupiter with something special, there was an eclipse when I took this image.


Frame 6: I was still awake at 2am 10-15-11processing the images. I decided to check out if the sky is still clear and what an amazing sight to see. I run for the camera! A large Halo around the Moon and Jupiter is inside it.


The Moon Halo which is 22° occurs because of the refraction in tiny hexagonal ice crystals in the air.

What a great evening!


All images are taken on OCT 14 and 15 2011between 21:00-23:00


No comments:

Post a Comment